FAMILIES - LIEBRICH
According to the Darrtown Family Tree, both husband and wife, Louis Liebrich and Lina (Lange) Liebrich are "Darrtown Pioneers."
The Ancestry.com timeline for Louis Liebrich (at right), which is based on U. S. Census records, confirms that he lived in Darrtown during the 1880s - which is the earliest appearance of a Liebrich family member in Darrtown.
Louis Liebrich was born on May 8, 1842, in Germany. He married Lina (Lena) Lange in 1870. They had four children during their marriage. He died on February 28, 1932, in California, at the age of 89, and was buried in Banning, California.
NOTE: There is a connection between the Liebrich family and the Vinson family. See more details at the Vinson Family.
"Pete & Myrt"
Most people who lived in or near Darrtown in the middle of the 20th century knew Pete and Myrt Liebrich.
Mr. and Mrs. Liebrich were active in Darrtown's St. Matthews Lutheran church.
The Liebrichs lived across the street from the Lutheran church, on the east side of Route 177, two houses north of North Street.
related to "Pete & Myrt"
Photos discovered at the former Liebrich property prompted the creation of this webpage.
In early 2013, Don Beckett, proprietor of Don's Carry-Out in Darrtown, presented a large manila envelope to this website. Inside the envelope were 18 pages of photographs that obviously were once part of a photo album. The photos displayed on this page are some of those photos.
Don explained that he acquired the photos when one of his customers, who now owns the property, once know as the Liebrich home on North Main Street, offered the photos to Don - after finding them in the attic of the property.
The majority of the images that appear on this page were found in the former Liebrich homestead.
ABOVE: This image shows some of the 18 album pages that contained photos from the Liebrich property on Main Street
Clarifying the location of the former Liebrich property
ABOVE: An image of the former Liebrich home - circa 2014
RIGHT: This image shows the proximity of the
former Liebrich property and Darrtown's
St. Matthews Lutheran church.
BELOW: Two views of the property - middle 20th century
Images found at the former Liebrich property
ABOVE: Using a magnifying glass on the original image, it was ascertained that the lettering that appears at the top of the tire cover reads: "The Gene Welb_ _ _ Co. - Hamilton, Ohio." The curve of the lettering obscures the rest of the name. Beneath the name and above the insignia, the lettering reads "Hamilton, Ohio." Beneath the insignia, the lettering reads "The Victory Six." The next and last line is indistinguishable. The Ohio license plate reads "337-661" and the year is "1928."
A Google search revealed the following: "The Victory Six was offered by Dodge in honor of the 10th anniversary of World War I." To see a partial restoration of a Victory Six, click the following YouTube video link.
ABOVE: If this photo was taken in Darrtown, it may be that the building/garage seen here was the Darrtown Motor Inn, which was operated by Jesse Francis. Mr. Francis started his service station / auto repair business in a building that was a former skating rink, according to a 1931 newspaper article.
By examining the original image with a magnifying glass, it was determined that the sign behind the gas pump reads "Ford Authorized Station" and "Darrtown… Tires…" can be seen on the bottom line.
The same sign/language can be seen in the image that appears immediately below.
LEFT: We do not know the identity of the woman posed at the top of this sign.
However, she resembles one of the two women who are seen sitting on the fenders of the "tin lizzie" that is displayed in the following "All Boots" photo.
RIGHT: We do not know the identity of the man shown in this photo.
However, it appears that he is standing in front of the same garage as that shown in the photo immediately above this one.
BELOW: This image was labeled "All Boots," (presumably because the two ladies have their feet extended to better display their footwear).
This photo is informative in several ways:
1. The female, sitting on the fender at the left, appears to be Agusta "Gussie" (Liebrich) Gaiser, who volunteered as the Union Sunday School choir director in the late 1940's and early 1950's. See image of "Gussie" in a Sunday School choir photo. The other female is unidentified.
2. Using a magnifying glass on the original image, it was ascertained that the lettering that appears between the headlights on the front of the "tin lizzie" (automobile) reads "The Fort Hamilton Motor Company - Ford Products - 321 Market Street." The Ohio license plate is partially obscured by the crank handle; but the license numerals are 861-053 and the year is 1926.
3. From the two structures shown in the background, it can be deduced that this photo was taken in the northwest section of the village square (adjacent to the Hitching Post tavern). The sign that appears in the upper left of the image reads "Refreshments" and was, presumably, attached to the Hitching Post - the corner of which is located at the left edge of this photo.
4. The K of P (Knights of Pythias) hall appears in the background - right (see related story at K of P page.)
5. The house that once stood on the east side of Main Street, across from the Hitching Post, appears in the background - left. In the mid-20th century, this house was known as the Butterfield house (see related story at the Recollections of Sandy Ward Jolivette and see related image, taken by Paul Weiss, at Snapshots 2.
ABOVE: This photo was labeled "Charles Edward at 2 mos." The Teckmans and the Liebrichs were next door neighbors and Charlie Teckman's middle name is Edward. And, this looks a bit like the front porch of the Teckman house. So, might this be a photo of Charlie Teckman?
ABOVE: This photo was labeled, "The two Helens." So, who were these two Helens?
Helen McVicker? Helen…?
ABOVE: The sign on this float reads "Joe Zeller - Heating and Plumbing." The float displays a new-fangled commode (at the left) and an "out-house" - with a bucket on the door (at the right).
ABOVE: Those who remember Agusta (Liebrich) Gaiser believe that she is the woman in this photo. The man may have been her husband, Lawrence Gaiser.
ABOVE: This image was labeled "Dot, Mary, & Tep"
ABOVE: This photo was labeled: "Fredalynn Daubenbis."
RIGHT: This young girl is unidentified; it appears that she has some type of trophy and/or gifts in front of her. The porch at the right resembles the Teckman porch (see "Charles Edward" photo above left).
ABOVE: This photo was labeled "Lucille Krebs."
So, is this a member of the Krebs family that lived north of Darrtown on Rt. 177?
ABOVE: Unidentified couple; apparent wedding;
photo dated as "July 24, 1929."
Does anyone know a couple that married on that date?
FOOD FOR THOUGHT?
Now that we have these images, what do we do with them?
Wouldn't it be great to have a permanent place to store such artifacts?
Something like a Darrtown Historical Society?
Charles Teckman, who, during the 1940's and 1950's, lived with his parents, Harry and Virginia Teckman and his sister, Joan Teckman, in the house just south of the Liebrichs, donated the following photos.
Pete and Mytle LIebrich standing just north of their house on Main Street at the north edge of Darrtown (circa 1940's or 1950's)
Lawrence Gaiser and Agusta Liebrich.
Agusta is not wearing a wedding ring in this photo, so the couple (who would become Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Gaiser) may not have been married, when this photo was taken.
And, yes, this future Mrs. Gaiser is the same "Gussie" Gaiser who served as the director of the Darrtown Union Sunday School choir in the 1950's.
© Darrtown.com established 12/03/07
Questions/comments? Please contact the Darrtown Webmaster