FAMILIES - MILLER
Lewis. A. Miller - a.k.a. "L. A." Miller
This section provides a glimpse of how the primary mode of transportation in Darrtown, Butler County, and southwest Ohio transitioned from horse-drawn wagons and buggies to gasoline-powered autos and trucks, during the early 20th century.
Two sources of information are utilized in this section:
1. Journal entries from the L. A. Miller diaries
In the year 1913, from November 9 through November 13, after visiting with his parents, who lived in West Chester, Ohio, Mr. Miller traveled further east on “fur” business. He reported on his business contacts in Brown, Clermont, and Highland counties. This entire journey was achieved by horse and buggy - a distance of at least 150 miles, round-trip.
The May 28,1916 entry is the first time that Mr. Miller mentioned possible ownership of an auto.
FOR A BIT OF HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE: In 1913, the Ford Model T, created by the Ford Motor Company five years prior, became the first automobile to be mass-produced on a moving assembly line.
See "History of the Automobile" at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_automobile
The March 4, 1919 entry indicates that many in the Darrtown area were still using horses and wagons for transportation, even though
automobiles were increasing in usage.
2. Images from the "We're from Hamilton, Ohio" Facebook page.
The following images correlate with the topic of how people made the transition from horse-drawn vehicles to those powered by gasoline engines, in the early 1900's.
The photos posted below depict scenes from the streets of Hamilton, Ohio, from the 1890's through the 1940's. These images have been added to the this "Miller Diaries" section, because, in his diaries, Mr. Miller frequently writes about going to or through Hamilton by horse and auto.
Perhaps this section will help you imagine what it was like for people to travel as described
... in Mr. Miller's diary entries, above, and
... as depicted in the images below.
Notice that the "street car" is being pulled by a horse and there are no rails in the street.
Looking southwest across the northwest corner of Third and High streets.
Notice all the horses and carriages and
no autos. Also, there appear to be some rails running down the street; so, PERHAPS some form of rail transportation was available.
High Street, looking at Butler County Court House.
H. Frechtling's properties on the 100 block of High Street.
The building at the right bears the name, "Hamilton House Hotel."
Still, all horses and carriages and
Parade on Main Street, looking east. The iron truss bridge (at the right in the background) led to High Street on the east side of the Great Miami River.
This bridge fell, during the 1913 flood.
In this 1910 image, horse-drawn carriages dominate the streets.
The Adams Express Company, located in the First National Bank building, attracted this crowd to a sale of unclaimed freight.
In this 1910 image, horse-drawn carriages share High Street with automobiles.
This 1916 image, shows a Butler County Lumber Company truck (see name below driver's seat).
Also, it appears that this may have been a belt-driven vehicle. Notice, in front of the back wheel, the round object that may have been a pulley and a belt appears to run from the pulley to the engine at the front of the truck.
High Street, looking east.
All cars, no horse-drawn vehicles in this 1930 photo.
Southeast corner of Second and High streets.
The Paramount theater sign appears at th center of the photo. The theater was located across the street from the Butler County Courthouse - which is out of sight, beyond the right margin of this photo.
High and Front streets, looking east.
Notice the "Hotel Butler" sign at the skyline and there is a "Wilmur's" sign in front of the white building.
RETURN TO THE MILLER DIARY EXCERPTS PAGE.
© Darrtown.com established 12/03/07
Questions/comments? Please contact the Darrtown Webmaster