"History never looks like history,

when you are living through it."

John W. Gardner (1933-1982)

Will any local structure/sites ever be

nationally recognized and preserved?

 

Enthusiasts, who believe that some structures located in and around Darrtown deserve to acknowledged for historic value may, at some point in the future, mount a campaign to achieve such recognition.

 

If so, those campaigners may wish to contact programs and/or organizations, such as the following, which are known for assigning historic status:

    National Historic Landmark Program

    National Park Service's HABS, HAER, and HALS programs

    Center for HIstoric Architecture and Design

As of December, 2018, no site in or near Darrtown has attained national recognition for being historically significant.

Historic Sites

Links to Darrtown History Pages:

 

Introduction/overview - Purpose of this history section

Maps - See location of Darrtown & historical maps

Early History - The first half-century of Darrtown history.

Historic Time Line - Associating world and local events

Darrtown Chronology - Darrtown events in timely order

Historic Sites - See location of local historical sites

Folklore, anecdotes and trivia - Stories told thru the ages

Railroad plans verified - Proof that a railroad was planned

German heritage - Achtung! Sprechen sie Deutsch?

Unwritten history - Rectifying an overlooked story

The Unknowns - Answers needed!

Darrtown doctors - Who were Darrtown's physicians?

Lanes Mill - One of Darrtown's earliest businesses

Four Mile Valley Railroad - Plans and route revealed

Darrtown Family Tree - Darrtown's pioneer families listed

Murder-1865 - Murder times two

Murder-1884 - "Where's your mother, George?"

Bus Line - "Next stop...Darrtown!"

There are several structures in and around Darrtown that some supporters might consider historic.

For example:

  • Darrtown's Hitching Post tavern, which opened for business in 1817, has existed for nearly two centuries. The historic tavern celebrated its bicentennial year in 2017.
  • The building that houses Don's Carry-out has a life-span nearly equal to the town tavern.
  • The Lutheran and Methodist churches have stood for nearly a century and a half.
  • The large residence at the north edge of Darrtown, once owned by Col. Kirk Mee II, dates back to the mid-to-late 1800's
  • The log cabin situated in the southwest corner of the intersection of Schollenbarger Road and Darrtown Pike (St. Rt. 177) has stood since Darrtown's early days.
SPEAKING OF...
Historic Sites

...here are some links to "sights from history"

To see sketches of four Darrtown-area farms

and residences from the 1800's,

click the links at the left.

Marvin Russell contributed the four images,

which he found in the "History and Biographical Cyclopedia of Butler County, Ohio."

As noted above, no Darrtown site has yet attained national acclaim. However, two Milford Township sites (listed below) have been acknowledged as worthy of historical acclaim by the U.S. Library of Congress. U.S. Library of Congress "Historic Building Survey" files stored in the United States Library of Congress include the two following Darrtown-area sites.

 The Charles Krebs' Place

 

This residence is located at 5700 Hamilton-Richmond Road in Milford Township, Butler County, Ohio.

See more info at this Library of Congress link:

https://www.loc.gov/item/oh0155/

 

 The Covered Bridge at Collinsville

This structure was located north of Collinsville, Ohio, where State Road crosses the Seven Mile Creek, approximately 1,000 feet east of the intersection of State Road and the (old) St. Rt. 127.

See more info at these Library of Congress links:

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.oh0231.sheet/?sp=1

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.oh0231.sheet/?sp=2

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.oh0231.sheet/?sp=3

 

Click to open and click to close these links.

According to captions on the sketches:

 The Harris farm was located in Section 29 of Milford Township.

The Kramer farm was located in Section 20 of Milford Township.

The Lane farm (and mill) was located in Section 31 of Milford Township.

The Ogle sisters' farm was located in Section 28 of Milford Township.

© Darrtown.com established 12/03/07

Questions/comments? Please contact the Darrtown Webmaster