Granted, content on the preceding "History 2" page, which correlates Darrtown events with national and international events, also appears in a chronological order. However, this "Darrtown Chronology" page provides more detailed information about Darrtown happenings.
In general, the content offered at Darrtown.com appears in the order in which it was discovered and/or received. Items on this page, however, are presented in chronological order.
- Conrad Darr and Robert and William Ogle (all from Pennsylvania) entered Section 28 of Milford Township. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Darr and the two Ogles brought their families to Section 28 and subdivided the section; Darr took the southern half, William Ogle the northwest quarter and Robert Ogle the northeast quarter. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Daniel Kyger and his wife, Ann Teegarden Kyger, of Pennsylvania, headed west at the beginning of the nineteenth-century and settled along the Four Mile Creek about 1803 [Source: Oxford Press, 1986]
- Abram DARR was the first resident of the village. He kept a store on the east side of the street, near the center of the town, in a frame house. This building burned down in 1820. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Darrtown Cemetery laid out. by Thomas COOCH and Mr. MARKLE. The former gave one and the latter half an acre of land. The first interment was that of Harriet, daughter of Thomas and Hannah COOCH, September 6, 1806. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- The first school was made up in this part of the township and taught by George HOWARD. The house stood a quarter of a mile north-west the center of the town. It was a log building, with a large fireplace in one end, logs cut out for windows, roof covered with clapboards, which were held down by weight-poles. This house lasted and was used for twenty-five years. Among the teachers were John BLACKBURN, Enoch MORRIS, and Robert McMANUS, an Irishman, who was a fine scholar and a gentleman. The IRWIN boys, the KEGARDs, STOUTs, HAYNESes, PRICEs, and DARRs were among the scholars. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574].
- This [the Baptist] Church was organized at Thomas COOCH's. The first preaching was under a shade tree in the Summer and at COOCH's house in the Winter. The first preachers that might be called regular were Stephen GARD and William TYNER. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Hiram DARR was born in Darrtown, Ohio, on the 6th of October, 1806, the son of Conrad and Catherine DARR. Hiram Darr was married May 13, 1827, to Harriet SITHENS, daughter of Jesse and Elizabeth SITHENS, who was born July 4, 1807 in New Jersey. They had twelve children, named in the following list.
01. Abraham Darr was born March 24, 1828;
02. Hiram Darr, April 7, 1829;
03. Gardiner Darr, May 7, 1830;
04. Isaac Thomas Darr, March 17, 1832;
05. George Washington Darr, March 3, 1834;
06. Lucy Ann Darr, October 16, 1835;
07. Harriet Eliza Murphy Darr, November 6, 1837;
08. Matilda Durth Darr, September 21, 1839;
09. Emily Marshall Darr, January 28, 1842;
10. Louisa Darr, May 6, 1844;
11. Mary Darr, January 17, 1842;
12. John Darr, March 27, 1852.
WEBMASTER NOTES REGARDING THE DARR FAMILY:
- From the above, we can see that Hiram and Harriet Darr named their second child, Hiram; so it is helpful to speak of, or refer to, Hiram I (born 1806) and Hiram II (born 1829).
- George W. DARR, the fifth child of Hiram I and Harriet, joined the Union army August, 1861 served eighteen months and was discharged on account of disability. He applied for a pension, and his claim was allowed November, 1880.
- Child No. 12, John Darr, born in 1852, was the last of Darrtown's original Darr family.
- To summarize, Conrad Darr was the father of Hiram Darr I and Hiram I was the father of John Darr. So, John Darr was the grandson of Conrad Darr, who founded Darrtown.
- John Darr is remembered in the Recollections of Virginia Teckman and the Recollections of Kirk Mee II.]
- The availability of water in and around Darrtown seems notable for at least two reasons:
1. Conrad Darr mentioned the presence of "never ending springs" in his advertisement of Darrtown propery (see Journal News article)
2. The growing of willows (which require plenty of water) is mentioned in the two following quotations, from the Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township: pages 562-574.
- "Dr. WYMAN, from New York, introduced the common domestic willow at Darrtown about 1845, five years after his arrival. The growing of willows in this vicinity is a leading industry with a number of the people."
- "Mr. Hiram DARR is a farmer and willow cultivator."
- While it is not clear whether the quote about Hiram Darr applies to Hiram Darr I or Hiram Darr II, the reference to a "willow cultivator" has some present-day (2012) significance. As of 2012, there are people from Darrtown, who are able to remember John "Johnny" Darr (who was the youngest child of Hiram Darr I) and those individuals (Charles Teckman, being one of them) described John Darr, as one who raised willows on his property. As reported in the Recollections of Virginia Teckman (see link above), Virginia Teckman recalled that her husband, Harry Teckman purchased Johnny Darr's land and build the Teckman house at the northeast corner of the Main and North street intersection in Darrtown. Even today (2012), a marshy land area exists at the rear of the former Darr/Teckman property. A stand of cattails (or could they be willows?) grows there now.
- About the same time that the Baptist Church was organized, the Methodists began to have preaching in the neighborhood, and some time thereafter built a log church on the Beeler section, at the foot of the western slope of "Chaw Raw" hill. This Church has since become very numerous and respectable, now worships in a handsome frame building in the village. There are a number of graves near the site of the old church, but the house has long since disappeared. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574] WEBMASTER NOTE: Chaw Raw Hill is located due south of where Schollenbarger Road first turns east (1 mile south of Rt. 73) according to "Butch" Green. See Recollections of Hazel Green and Recollections of Kirk Mee II.
- Darr platted the village and named it after himself. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574] WEBMASTER NOTE: Other records confirm that this platting occurred on April 4, 1814; Darrtown was born!
- Old Mr. COOLEY settled in the lower end of Darrtown. He was from Kentucky; his family consisted of but himself and wife. The same year be built the stone house now occupied by Mr. WAGONFEED. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Conrad DARR began a tanyard, carried on for seventeen years, in the upper end of the village. He was followed by his son Hiram, who continued in the business of his father for nine years, and also carried on boot and shoe making, on a small scale, for fifty years. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574] WEBMASTER NOTE: A tanyard is defined as an enclosure where the tanning of leather is carried on; i.e., a tannery.
- WALLACE and BRYANT came from the neighborhood of Colerain, Hamilton County and erected a saw-mill, a grist-mill, and a fulling mill, all run by undershot wheels, on Four-Mile, now known as LANE'S MILL (see photo). The latter member of the firm was the fuller. WALLACE did sawing for eight or ten years; also carried on the grinding department. He sold out to James SMILEY. The property now belongs to his son-in-law, W. L. LANE, of Oxford. The mill is a three story stone building, and was erected about 1850 by William ELLIOTT, who was accidentally killed. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574] WEBMASTER NOTE: Fulling mills cleaned woolen cloth and shrunk it a bit to make it thicker. A vertically mounted water wheel that is rotated by water striking paddles or blades at the bottom of the wheel is said to be undershot. They are most suited to shallow streams in flat country.
- The [Baptist Church] society built a frame meeting-house in the old or present cemetery. This society flourished for a while, and was then broken up. Among the members were Israel DeWITT, Thomas COOCH, James WALDEN, and Mr. BLACKBURN. When the town hall was built this society sold their church to Abram LAWE, who removed it to Darrtown, and it is now used for a dwelling. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- The FIRST (original) Davis home was constructed on the Alamon Davis property, which was located in the northwest corner of the intersection of (Ohio) State Route 177 and (Ohio) State Route 73. [Sources: 1973 and 1978 Oxford (Ohio) Press articles that appear on the Davis family page].
- Abram Darr opened the Hitching Post Tavern-Inn. [Source: Buckeye Tavern; newsletter published November, 1957] WEBMASTER NOTE: 1817; The Hitching Post opens for business!
- Abram DARR built a frame house, where ZIMMERMAN now keeps,and began the tavern-keeping business. He continued for ten or twelve years. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- GRIFFITH's mill stood on Four Mile Creek, where the bottom road from Oxford crosses the stream. There was a sawing and grinding department, both of which continued to run for twenty-five years. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- John DEEN built the second house, which was used for a grocery by William Shears. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Henry BRANNER was a blacksmith in Darrtown for 10 years, in a log shop opposite site Chamberlain's tavern. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- James ANDERSON came from Pennsylvania to Darrtown; built the house now occupied by John GRAW, and close by opened a still-house, in 1820. He remained for ten or twelve years, and died afterward in Oxford Township. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- In early history the settlers went to James BROADBERRY's saw and grist-mill, one mile and a half below town, erected in 1818, and continued for twenty- five years. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Half-way between LANE's mill and Darrtown, Thomas COOCH built, in 1818, an overshot saw-mill. He had also previously erected an overshot grist-mill, thirty-five feet wheel. Thomas COOCH, Jr., with his father, also had a large distillery. All three of these establishments continued up to 1835, when the mills stopped. The still-house was carried on for five years longer. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- 1820: Henry WATTS built a log-house in Darrtown, opposite the Davis property. HERRON & FENTON were in this log building in 1827 as merchant tailors. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- John MILLS built a carding mill, in 1822, in Darrtown, and continued for five years. He sold out to Abram DARR, who used the old machinery for grinding his corn for the still-house. The power was supplied by a large tread-wheel, turned by oxen. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- WEBMASTER NOTE: Before it can be spun into thread or yarn, wool must be combed, or carded, to straighten the wool fibers and remove impurities. Water powered carding machines made it much easier and faster to prepare the wool for spinning by performing this fiber-straightening operation which was easier and faster than using hand tools.
- (January 18) The Darrtown post office opened. It continued operating until January 31, 1907. [Source: Hamilton Journal News, August 3, 1994]
- Willis DAVIS was a store-keeper, also as a saddler. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Stephen KENDALL came to Darrtown in 1825, built a tavern in the lower end of town, and continued until 1844. He was by trade a shoemaker, carpenter, and wagonmaker. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- John COOK, a blacksmith, from Pennsylvania, came here in 1825, with a large family; remained fifteen years. Stephen COOK, his son, followed, in the same business, for five or six years. David and John KNEE were also early blacksmiths. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Aaron CHAMBERLAIN, a native of New York, rented a store-room and began to accommodate the public. His store stood on the east side of the street in the middle of the village. He afterward opened a tavern in the store building, continuing for six years. He also worked at the wagon-making business for some time, and died in Pike County, Illinois some time after 1840. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Henry KRIGGER was another blacksmith from 1826 to 1832, south of the widow CARNAHAN's house on the east side of Main Street. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
1826 or 1827:
- The Darrtown town hall was built to be used bv all religious congregations as a place of worship. Conrad DARR gave the land on which the house stands. Among the leaders in this enterprise were Joseph HAYNES, a blacksmith, who lived one mile east Of town; in 1814, and perhaps was the first within this part of the township; Jacob OGLE, a man of many excellent parts, and James WALDEN, who lived on the farm now owned by Huston KIGER, the latter of of whom has a large steam saw-mill. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- PATTERSON and MARTIN had a store, where ZIMMERMAN's saloon is. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- The second school-house was a frame, which stood on the public square, erected in 1830, or thereabouts. Abram DARR and Philip BROWN were among the first teachers. This building was used for about eight years. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- H. D. Kyger born; would become premier horseman of his time. His harness racing success peaked with champion trotter, Kit Curry, in the 1880's. H. D. Kyger is cited as a founder of the Livestock Protection Company, which may have stemmed from the success/value of his stable of fine racing horses. See Kyger family.
- Abram Darr opened still-house, two hundred yards east of where Hiram Darr lived. His corn was ground at the old carding-mill on the corner south of the Lutheran Church. This distillery continued for a number of years. Mr. Darr moved to Iowa, in 1844, and in 1852, while in Cincinnati, died very suddenly. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
Circa 1840 (?):
- For the third school-house the Darrtown people had frame building which stood near DARR's distillery. The house is now used for a dwelling, near the center of the town. William HEWETT and David P. NELSON were two of the first teachers. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- The Lutheran Church in Darrtown was organized at Jericho, four miles north on the Hamilton and Richmond pike. The original place of worship has since been destroyed by fire. This resulted in the erection of the church in Darrtown. George KRAMER and wife Barbara, old Mr. KNAPP and wife, Daniel SHOLLENBERGER and wife were among the first and leading persons who gave the Church its present healthy constitution. There are now over sixty members in good standing. A Union Sunday-school is carried on, with alternate meetings at the Methodist and the Lutheran Church. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Pearson STOUT had a still- house on the farm now occupied by Ebenezer BROWN, one mile north of Darrtown. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574])
- Weiss, Ignatz "Fritz" born in Germany; later to immigrate to USA / Darrtown, Ohio and become the village blacksmith. [Source: family history]
- William KIRKPATRICK kept a tavern in Darrtown in 1845 in the house now occupied by his son Samuel as a tavern and saloon. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Mitchell MARSHALL had a large three story still-house, from 1845 to 1852, one fourth of a mile east of the center of the village. The capacity of this establishment was fifteen barrels per day. Many hogs were fattened at this distillery, and many cooper-shops were in active operation near at hand. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- The fourth school building, a frame, was erected and occupied a site two hundred yards west of the center of the village. This building was used until the present brick was put up, with an Odd Fellows' hall above, but which has been sold to the school directors for school purposes. Richard CHAMBERS and Gardner DARR were among the first teachers. Mr. Cornelius JONES, of St. Charles, is the present teacher. There an average of seventy scholars. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- The New School Presbyterians organized a Church in Darrtown. The first preachers came from Oxford. In its most prosperous days, this organization numbered thirty-five members, of whom Stephen KENDALL, Hiram DARR and wife, Susanna and Sarah COOK were the most prominent. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- Lanes Mill constructed [Source: Middletown Journal New - December 9, 1951 - page 24; see Families - Manrod.]
- March 12 - The Four Mile Valley Railroad was incorporated and officially organized in 1851, with Peter P. Bailey of Ft. Wayne, Ind., as President, and S. H. Mollyneaux, of Oxford, as Secretary and Treasurer.
- Mr. Darr sold the Hitching Post on February 25, 1851 to Kiger and Kiger. [Source: November 1957 issue of the the “Buckeye Tavern"
- The Four Mile Valley Railroad merged with the Cincinnati-Ft. Wayne Railroad, and with more than $450,000 subscribed, the Directors recommended that work be started at once. See History Page 6.
- (March 22) Johnny Darr born; the youngest of Hiram and Harriet Darr's 12 children. He was 24 years younger than his oldest sibling, Abraham. [Source: Jon Jeffrey Patton's Dissertation, pg. 46, Miami University. 1988] (Webmaster note: During a 2010 Darrtown "Gathering" Charles Teckman shared that he remembered Johnny Darr and recalled that his father (Harry Teckman) drove Johnny to the hospital after Johnny was struck by a car (Nov. 22, 1923), while crossing Darrtown's Main Street. John Darr died from his injuries.
1858 and 1859:
- A sawmill and a small grinding department was in operation in the village, owned by Benjamin HAWK and Joseph KECK. The buildings stood where the Lutheran Church now is. The establishment lasted but for eight or nine months. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- (Exact year unknown) Kigers sold the Hitching Post to John McMechan during the Civil War. [Source: November 1957 issue of the the “Buckeye Tavern"]
- Ignatz Weiss arrived in the U.S., at age 29. After settling in Darrtown, Ignatz established a 35 year blacksmith business with Fred Abry. [Source: Weiss Family]
- Charles Otto became the owner of the Hitching Post on April 17, 1869. [Source: November 1957 issue of the the “Buckeye Tavern"]
- Darrtown "town hall" exists (is still standing). [Source: History of Darrtown Lutheran Church on the occasion of the 125th anniversary of the church].
- South part of the Darrtown Lutheran Church was constructed [Source: History of Darrtown Lutheran Church on the occasion of the 125th anniversary of the church].
- Odd Fellows Lodge, No. 47, was chartered June 10. The charter members were W. H. HARRIS, A. J. MORTON, W. L. LANE, Joseph and David KECK, R. G. and William KENDALL, and George MORTON. This society is a branch of the Somerville Lodge. There are now thirty-two members. The hall where the society meets was built for a select school, and was owned in shares, which were bought at a small figure from the stockholders. A. J. NORTON was the first N. G.; W. H. HARRIS, the first vice-grand. [Source: Butler County OHGenWeb Project page / Milford Township:pages 562-574]
- On January 15, 1872, Jacob Hinkle purchased the Hitching Post property. [Source: November 1957 issue of the the “Buckeye Tavern"]
- Hannah Zimmerman assumed ownership of the Hitching Post on September 22, 1877. [Source: November 1957 issue of the the “Buckeye Tavern"]
- Luther McVicker's father arrived from Brownsville, Indiana to begin farming south of Darrtown. [Source: Jon Jeffrey Patton's Dissertation, pg. 59, Miami University. 1988]
- L. A. Miller attended the Danville, Ind. Normal School, together in 1881 & 1882 (noted in L. M. Miller Diaries - Jan. 11, 1915)
- Joseph and Lena (Kapp) Davis, with son, Paul, moved into the original Davis home (previously used as a toll house) at Rt. 177 & Rt. 73. [Source: Oxford Press; see Events page 8; "Davis Corner."
- Ohio State Legislature grants charter to the Darrtown Stock Protection Company. [Source: Organizations; page 3]
- Darrtown Stock Protection Company held its first meeting on January 7, with H.D. Kyger presiding and twenty two members answered the roll call, paying their dues. Two members were sick, being excused. [Source: Organizations - Page 3.]
- Height of racing career for Kit Curry, famed trotter owned by Darrtown-area resident, H. D. Kyger. It is reported that Mr. Kyger once refused a $10,000 offer for Kit Curry.
- Mee and Kirkpatrick bought land at north edge of Darrtown. [Source: Jon Jeffrey Patton's Dissertation, pg. 33, Miami University. 1988]. (This would become the Mee residence known as Linn Place.)
- Luther McVicker born on family farm. [Source: Jon Jeffrey Patton's Dissertation, pg. 59, Miami University. 1988]
- Earl "Red" Huber born - April 20, 1896; date of birth calculated from news item in Hamilton Journal News (see "Bill's Board")
- October 15: Rural free delivery of U.S. Mail begins for Darrtown, Collinsville, and Somerville; these are the first rural routes in Ohio [Source: see "First Rural Routes by States" - USPS website] See U.S. Postmaster General confirmation letter.
1897 - 1901:
- Sometime during the four-year pastorate of Rev. R. A. Haverstadt, the Sunday School room was added to the Lutheran Church.
- The Schuck family bought the Hitching Post property in 1899, which they held through the first 25 years of the 20th century. [Source: November 1957 issue of the the “Buckeye Tavern"]
- The Darrtown Telephone Company applied to county commissioners for a right-of-way to construct a line over the Hamilton and Richmond turnpike, from Hamilton, to Somerville, over the Oxford and Somerville turnpike, to Collinsville,over the Flenner turnpike, to Oxford, over the Oxford turnpike, and to Riley, by way of Woods Station. See Organizations / Businesses 5 / Telephone Company Seeks Right of Way.
- Drilling for natural gas began "on the farm of J. W. Nichol, near Darrtown." [Source: Hamilton Republican News - August 2, 1901 - page 5]. See Organizations / Businesses / 6.
- Knights of Pythias Lodge hall built in Darrtown [Source: Oxford Press (circa July 1976) - see Events page 6; story about Darrtown Parade]
- (January 31) The Darrtown post office closed. [Source: Hamilton Journal News, August 3, 1994]
- (July 6) A cyclone hit Darrtown and demolished the Methodist Church and the schoolhouse; see HIstory Page 6.
- H. D. Kyger died (see Kyger family).
- Darrtown High School constructed; this was the brick building that stood on the south side of Oxford Street, across from the Lewis "Swack" Teckman residence. The school was razed in the late 20th century. [Source: Photograph of inscription "AD 1908" above the school entrance; photo contributed by Hazel Green and her son, Richard "Butch" Green].
- Darrtown population reported as 120, in a January 1st entry in Mr. L. A. Miller's 1911 diary.
- Automobiles are increasing in number, as L. A. Miller notes in his July 30th entry: "Autos are getting very thick. The U.S. is going Auto Crazy."
- Community considered the creation of a "central" high school (noted in L. A. Miller Diaries - Feb. 2) Feb. 2: "I attended a mass meeting - held in regard to the establishment of a Central High School. Nothing definite was accomplished."
- Carl McVicker Injured while sawing wood (noted in L. M. Miller 1915 diary - Apr. 24) "My old friend Carl McVicker lost a thumb and forefinger of left hand today, sawing wood with a circle saw."
- ____ Miller, father of L.M. Miller died (noted in L. M. Miller Diaries - Sept. 28) "We were just ready to go when a telephone call came to us, telling us father had died at 5:15 am this morning."
- Harriet (Irwin) Harris died (noted in L. M. Miller Diaries - Nov. 25) "This pm I attended the obsequies of an Old settler Mrs Harriet Harris ( née Irwin) almost 88 years old."
- Joseph Bufler died Dec 4 (noted in L. M. Miller Diaries - Dec. 4) "I attended obsequious of Jos Bufler, our neighbor & watch repairer, this pm."
- Ernest "Ernie" Miller and Bell Wilkie were married, June 15, in Cincinnati - per entry in L. A. Miller's 1916 diary.
- New bridge being installed installed over the Talawanda (Four Mile) creek at Lane's Mill, per entry in L. A. Miller's 1916 diary ; "Dec. 8 - This P.M., I drove out to Lane's Mill on some Tel. biz. & watched operations on new bridge for awhile."
- John F. Mee died, as reported in the 1917 L. A. MIller diary. Mr. Miller wrote: "My old friend, John F. Mee, died today. He was our secretary of the Darrtown Tel. Co. and had many good & noble traits Peace to his soul."
- James I. Wyckoff died October 23, according to 1917 diary of L. A. Miller - who wrote, on October 24: "Jas. I. Wycoff an old citizen of Darrtown, resident of Hamilton for the past 5 or 6 years, died some time last night from being gassed."
- Jan. 13: Ignaz "Fritz" Weiss was buried on this date in the Darrtown cemetery. The burial was reported in the 1919 diary of Mr. L. A. MIller, with this passage: "Buried Bro. Fritz Weiss – K of P – this PM."
- Baseball game played in field south of Darrtown between Darrtown and the Hamilton Hoovens. Professional baseball pitchers Hod Eller and Charley Root opposed each other. The 1920 diary of Mr. L. A. Miller described the experience in this manner: "Oct. 17: Warm, dusty & dirty. Mr. Laughton and family visited with us today. We all attended the Ball game. Hoovens vs. Darrtown. Score 0 to 1. Hod Eller pitched for Darrtown – Root for the Hoovens. The teams were very evenly matched. 3,000 people witnessed the game, over 2,200 pd. admissions, children free. 0 – 1 favor of Darrtown."
- Darrtown joined the KOI (Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana) Baseball League. [Source: Jon Jeffrey Patton's Dissertation, pg. 36, Miami University. 1988]
- Darr Gas and Oil Company formed. [Source: Jon Jeffrey Patton's Dissertation, pg. 37, Miami University. 1988]
- June 9: Ernie Miller begins the installation of a telephone line at William Weiss's new house [Source: LA Miller's 1921 diary]
- Sept. 29: Three work horses, being driven by R___ Jasbring, were killed by lightning strike, while working in farm field [Source: LA Miller's 1921 diary]
- The Darr Gas and Oil Company began drilling for natural gas west of Darrtown. [Source: Kirk Mee II recollections, wherein Mr. Mee remembers the Darr Gas and Oil Company and is quoted as saying, "The first well was drilled in 1922 on one of our farms across the road from the Darrtown cemetery."
- Nov. 3: Scott Kramer shot and killed by wife, Bertha Kramer, while he was milking a cow [Source: LA Miller's 1923 diary]
- Nov. 5: Funeral service for Scott Kramer.
- Nov. 21: James "Johnny" Darr struck by auto driven by Adolph Geisler, when Darr attempted to cross Hamilton-Richmond Pike near Darrtown Lutheran church. Accident occurred around 6 PM. Darr suffered a fractured skull and died around 10 PM at Mercy Hospital in Hamilton, Ohio. [Source: [Source: LA Miller's 1923 diary]
- Nov. 22: Essie Shears Hansel – who was about to become the mother of twin girls – died suddenly of heart-failure. Result; three deaths, mother and both babes. [Source: LA Miller's 1923 diary]
- Nov. 25: Funeral service for James "Johnny" Darr. Mr. Darr was described as "blind in one eye and somewhat deaf and failed to hear or see the approaching auto." [Source: LA Miller's 1923 diary]
- Nov. 26: Funeral service for Mrs. Essie (Shears) Hansel and twin, unborn, daughters. [Source: LA Miller's 1923 diary]
- Jan. 14: Mr. L.A. MIller reported that "Radio is now the rage. ... Radio sets cost from $10 to $200." [Source: LA Miller's 1924 diary.]
- Jan. 31: Mrs. Kate Brunz died this date (75 yrs. of age) [Source: LA Miller's 1924 diary.]
- Feb. 4: "A meeting this PM at the school house to decide as to the future of our schools in Milford Twp. The consensus of opinion was a central school. Another meeting to be held soon, at call of Board of Education, at Collinsville, to decide what shall be done." [Source: LA Miller's 1924 diary.]
- In 1925, Mr. Oscar L. Irwin bought the Hitching Post property from the Schucks. [Source: November 1957 issue of the the “Buckeye Tavern"]
- Apr. 2: … "Some prospect of drilling for oil in the Darrtown territory this summer by the Crown [?] Gas and Electric Company of West Va." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1925 diary]
- Sept. 6: "We now have drilling rigs in this neighborhood. One ½ mile south of town and the other two miles north of town." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1925 diary]
- Oct. 13: … "Drillers for gas and oil are still at it. No oil – but, some gas has been struck." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1925 diary]
- Dec. 7: … "Drillers for gas and oil are pegging away and having all kinds of trouble with casing – out of water and 1,400 feet. Drill rig located on bank of Talawanda ... ½ mile from my office..." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1925 diary]
- Jan 1: Death of Mrs. Ed Teckman. "Mrs. Ed Teckman passed away today; stroke of paralysis a few days ago." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1926 diary]
- Jan. 2: Death of Mr. John W. Fisher. "We were awakened this AM and informed that neighbor, John W. Fisher had passed from earth about 6 AM, aged 75 years, 4 mo.+ A man who always wished to do right, since I knew him. An obliging neighbor." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1926 diary]
- Sept. 3: Ernest MIller installed wiring in the newly constructed Luther McVicker home (on Scott Road). [Source: L.A. Miller's 1926 diary]
- Nov. 22: The Union Gas and Electric Co. of Cincinnati campaigns for subscribers to electricity in Darrtown and vicinity. [Source: L.A. Miller's 1926 diary]
- Luther and Opal McVicker moved into home east of Darrtown on Scott Road. [Source: Jon Jeffrey Patton's Dissertation, pg. 59, Miami University. 1988]
- Electricity installed in Darrtown. [Source: Jon Jeffrey Patton's Dissertation, pg. 48, Miami University. 1988] Also, see multiple references to electricity lines being installed in Darrtown from May into July. [Source: L.A. Miller's 1927 diary]
- May 4: … "K of P met this PM. A good meeting. Lodge voted to have electric current put in and ordered the trustees to contract for same and proceed to have Hall wired." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1927 diary]
- May 9: Reference to the existence of a bus service between Darrtown and Hamilton. [Source: L.A. Miller's 1927 diary]
- May 20: "… Charles Lindbergh left New York at 6:51 AM in a monoplane for Paris – a Wright engine. He went alone. We hope he makes it. Sighted off Newfoundland this PM." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1927 diary]
- Lindbergh reached Paris at 4 PM. 33 and ½ hours non-stop. The time at Paris was 10:21 PM. The world has gone wild over the event. [Source: L.A. Miller's 1927 diary]
- July 8: "… getting bids in shape on Hall. K of P for wiring." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1927 diary]
- Jan. 4: Darrtown Stock Protection Company nearly disbanded. "… Stock Co. met and only 7 members present. We came near disbanding. Two for and 5 against." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1928 diary]
- Feb. 20: "I attended a sale of a near neighbor, Geo. Kolb." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1928 diary]
- May 29: Report of three houses under constuction within 500 yards of the village square. "...Some new houses being erected in this village of Darrtown, O. Harry Kolb on the S. West corner of Cherry and Mulberry Sts. | Julius Kolb on the S. West corner of Apple and Cherry Sts. | Harry Teckman, out of town, north of Main St. on East side." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1928 diary]
- Oct. 11: Report of Teckman family members gathering to sign a deed. "...The Teckman heirs called to sign a deed – except for Lottie Teckman Holleweg, who lives in Indianapolis, Ind." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1928 diary]
- Oct. 17: Report of first significant rainfall, since June 30th of this year. A stretch of 109 days without rain. "...A rain set in here and continued all night." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1928 diary]
- Dec. 14: Report of well being dug on property owned by Ellis Glardon - where he will build a house that still stands in 2017. "...My neighbor, Ellis Glardon, got his well walled up this PM. He plans to build a house." [Source: L.A. Miller's 1928 diary]
- Darrtown Telephone Company sold by John F. Mee and Frank S. Bufler to L. A. Miller, father of Ernest Miller, who served as manager of the company. [Oxford Press].
- Harry and Virginia Teckman built home at northeast corner of Main and North Street. [Source: Jon Jeffrey Patton's Dissertation, pg. 54, Miami University. 1988]
- Darrtown High School won the Butler County Baseball Championship
- Mrs. Pauline Wiley bought the Hitching Post property from Oscar Irwin on January 20, 1932. [Source: November 1957 issue of the "Buckeye Tavern."]
1933: 2,000 attend horse pulling contest at Joe Davis farm.
- Paul Miller was a member of the Darrtown High School faculty; see 1937 Senior Class photo. He later became Superintendent of Cincinnati Schools Mr. Miller is also remembered in Recollections of Dale Bufler
- Darrtown High School closed. [Source: Eugene Wagonfield]
- The Darrtown Telephone Company was sold to the Ohio Standard Telephone company of Oxford. The operation of the Darrtown company was unchanged, until the public Utilities commission of Ohio approved the sale, which was expected to occur in 60-90 days. After that, the exchange was to be moved from Darrtown to Oxford and the Darrtown subscribers would be placed on the rural service of the Oxford company. See Organizations / Businesses / 5.
- Donald T. McVicker, Sgt., U.S.A.F., and Darrtown native son, age 22, was killed in action over Germany [Source: Family records and Oxford Press; see Individuals; M-Q]
- Earl F. Huber bought the Hitching Post property from Mrs. Pauline Wiley on August 6, 1949. [Source: November 1957 issue of the "Buckeye Tavern."] In December of 1949, Mr. Huber hosted a Christmas party for children; this became an annual tradition.
- The Fisherman Magazine began publication in the former Darrtown High School. [Source: Hamilton Daily News - August 17, 1958] See Organizations / Businesses 5.
- February 3 - Walter "Smokey" Alston, Darrtown native son, named Manager of Brooklyn Dodgers
- Ohio Department of Education created the Talawanda School District
- Darrtown native, Dale Bufler, was on Military Police duty with the U.S. Army, when the first H-Bomb was exploded by the U.S. Government.
- October 4 - Walter Alston managed the Brooklyn Dodgers to their first World Series Championship
- Walter Alston named "Man of the Year" by Sport Magazine
- George H. Kyger, George H. died
- The Fisherman Magazine began construction of an office building located immediately south of the former Darrtown High School building. [Source: Hamilton Daily News - August 17, 1958] See Organizations / Businesses 5.
1957 or 1958:
- Fire broke out at Ferguson's Service Station and Grocery
- Ludley Ehery Durrough, died after being struck by automobile on Darrtown's Main Street [see Individuals; D-G]
- The Fisherman Magazine ceased publication. [Source: Hamilton Daily News - August 17, 1958] See Organizations / Businesses 5.
- Don Beckett bought Glardon's Grocery and started business as Don's Carry Out.
- Alvin "Elmer" Alford died; local farmer - Scott Road
- Raymond Kane died; worked for the Joe Davis and Joe's daughters, Nell and Maria at the Davis farm, located at the intersection of Rt. 177 and Rt. 73.
- Clarence Dees died; owned and operated the Dees Grocery Store
- George Kolb died, at the age of 100
- Ron Wiley appointed faculty member at Miami University
- Glardon, Ellis "Dugan" died; owned and operated the Glardon grocery store; also drove a school bus.
- Elsie (Carpenter) Guiler died
- Hazel (Talbert) Bufler died
- Stanley "Doc" Alston died
- Joe and Janet Pater created Jaco Construction, an excavating business.
- Butler County Commissioners named the intersection of Rt. 177 & Rt. 73 as "Davis Corner"
- Darrtown-Collinsville Boosters Association began the first season of baseball and softball at E-Dot Field. See Organizations / Youth.
- Cliff Alexander died; brother-in-law to Walter "Smokey" Alston and professional baseball scout.
- Walter Alston retired as Manager of the Los Angles Dodgers, after 23 seasons, which included seven National League pennants and four World Series championships; one in Brooklyn (1955) and three in Los Angles (1959, 1963, and 1965).
- Joe and Janet Pater created Jaco Waterproofing. Other ventures followed, including Jaco Communications, Jaco Coatings, and Kellin, Inc.
- Walter "Smokey" Alston died - Oct. 1
- Maurene (Gillespie) Bufler died
- Roberta (Russell) Laughlin died
- Opal (Trew) McVicker died
- Elizabeth (Ruhl) Dees died
- Raymond K. "Crow" Wiley died
- Shirley (Michael) Slater died
- Darrtown.com website founded - December 3
- Matilene (Cartwright) Wiley died
- A jeep crashed into Kelly Hansel's swimming pool. See video - as workers lift a Jeep out of Kelly Hansel's pool, after a drunk driver crashed through her Darrtown home's backyard early Thursday, Aug. 13, 2009. The driver was able to free himself. [Source: Oxford Press; August 14, 2009]
- Linn Weiss Derickson died
- The Darrtown United Methodist Church celebrated its Bicentennial year. Local historian and DUMC member, Marna Evans, reported that the church got its start in a group of log cabins built along Four Mile Creek in an Oxford Township community known as the Beeler Settlement. “An itinerant Methodist circuit rider, Moses Crume, often came with Bible in hand to spread his message,” Evans said, and in 1810, a log church, called “the Zion Meeting House,” was erected in the settlement with burial grounds nearby. “No one knows the exact spot today, but it is here that our church was born,” she said. While records exist that identify the founders of the church and some 40 settlers were buried in the cemetery, the church itself and the graves have been lost to history. “It is an unsolved mystery to tell if fire or flood waters destroyed what the Methodists had built,” Evans said. What is known is that the congregation headed to the recently laid out village of Darrtown and had services in the Town Hall and other temporary buildings. And by 1871, the Methodists built the sanctuary of the present church. [Source: Oxford Press; August 28, 2010]
- The Darrtown Pioneer Cemetery was among thirteen projects, involving local or regional history, to be awarded 2010 grants totaling $21,659 from the W.E. Smith Family Charitable Trust. The Smith Trust was established by the estate of Ophia Smith, a longtime Oxford resident who wrote two books of Oxford history, and — together with her husband, W.E. Smith, who chaired Miami University’s history department — collaborated on research and writing of a three-volume “History of Southwestern Ohio: The Miami Valleys.” The Darrtown Pioneer Cemetery will use the funds to repair/restore old tombstones. [Source: Oxford Press]
- Audrey (McGrew) Brooks died
- Marjorie (Tipton) Bufler died
- For the 112th consecutive year, the Darrtown community honored veterans with a ceremony at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 30, in the Darrtown Cemetery on Schollenbarger Road. The ceremony will honor all veterans and to recognize those buried in the Darrtown Cemetery dating back to the War of 1812. The reading of more than 250 names of veterans buried in the cemetery is a moving aspect of the event. [Source: Oxford Press; May 28, 2010]
- Doris "Dodie" (Alston) Ogle died
- Dwight R. Harris, 92, of Bexley and Milford Twp., died Thursday, Aug. 26, at the OSU Ross Heart Hospital. Harris was born Aug. 10, 1918 to James and Nelle (Krebs) Harris on Sunnyside Farm in Milford Twp., and Harris farmed this Ohio Century Farm for his entire life, established by his grandfather Charles Krebs, a Civil War veteran.
- Don Beckett was inducted into the Butler County Softball Hall of Honor, during ceremonies at the Hamilton (Ohio) Freshman School, September 8.
- St. Matthew’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Darrtown conducted a ground breaking for the new 3,000-square-foot expansion at 1 p.m., April 3 at the church, 4411 Hamilton Richmond Road. A 10 a.m. Sunday service and 11:30 a.m. soup lunch preceded the ground breaking event. The new fellowship hall nearly doubles the size of the church. [Source: Oxford Press; March 25, 2011]
- A Talawanda school district bus flipped on its side, trapping the driver inside, until paramedics and Butler County Sheriff’s deputies arrived on Friday, Oct. 30. Officials responded to the crash along the 2200-block of Scott Road at about 2:15 p.m. [Source: Oxford Press; October 30, 2009]
- Mr. and Mrs. John "Jack" Daniels celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary; they were married in the Darrtown Lutheran Church on January 12, 1962. [Source: Hamilton Journal; January 6, 2012]
- July 5 & 6 - Darrtown Bicentennial celebrated at E-Dot Park; estimated two-day attendance total of 3,500 people. See Darrtown Bicentennial.
- September 12 - Darrtown Reunion held at E-Dot Park; estimated attendance of 1,500 people. See 2015 Darrtown Reunion.
- December - Stang's Auto and Repair opened for business in former Luther McVicker garage building at 4278 Hamilton-Richmond Road. [Source: Facebook].