Click the following links
to access info about...
...the Darrtown community
This page contains stories about:
Tom Thumb Wedding - circa 1930's
(The following article appeared in the Hamilton Journal - circa 1930's)
"Following is the program for the Tom Thumb wedding to be presented by the primary department of the Darrtown Lutheran church, Thursday night, under the direction of Mrs. Caroline Frederick.
President and Mrs. Hoover - Eldon Wyckoff and Helen McVicker
Governor and Mrs. Roosevelt - Edward Fowler and Betty Alston
Former Sweetheart - Mary Lou McVicker
Old Maid Aunt - Wanda Wolf
Grandfather and Grandmother - Ralph Bufler and Corrine Bufler
Mother of the Groom - Dorothy Glardon
Bride's Mother - Dorothy Ward
Minister - Donald McVicker
Groom - George Edward Manrod
Best Man - Jack Wiley
Ushers - Jack Fowler, Ray Bufler, Norbert Ward, and Charles Teckman
Bridesmaids - Grace Krebs, Mary Cory, Kathryn Williams, Elizabeth Fowler, and Vera Wyckoff
Maid of Honor - Harriet Wagonfield
Flower Girls - Sarah Jane Manrod and Mary Eleanor Bufler
Bride - Alice Mae Kramer
Bride's Father - Eugene Wagonfield
Ring Bearers - Douglas Ward and Junior Wills"
Tom Thumb Wedding - circa Early 1940's
The first image below shows the participants in a Darrtown "Tom Thumb" wedding, from the early 1940's. The second image of the same event includes the names of the participants, as we have been able to identify them. If you can identify others in this photograph, please contact the Darrtown.com webmaster.
1. Johnnie Bradbury
2. Ronnie Wiley - groom
3. Melva Jewell - bride
4. Myra Hansel
5. Judy Hansel
6. Linda Mee?
7. Linda Brooks
8. Shirley MIchael
9. Billy Brooks
10. Donna Jewell
11. ___ Mann?
12. Beverly Bradbury
13. Roberta Napier
14. Paul "Pete" Jewell
15. Martha Pierson
16. Jackie Matthews
17. Susan Clark
18. Harlan Miller
19. Imogene Schultz
20. Patty Manrod
21. Patricia Hansel
22. Lois Ferst
24. Joann Jewell
27. Eugene Napier
28. Roger Wiley
29. Bob Young
30. Mary Lee Fogerty
Webmaster note: Martha Pierson was identified as #15, by her daughter, Donna Nixon, on Sept. 29, 2018.
Darrtown Parade - circa 1900
RIGHT: This photograph shows the Darrtown Cornet Band parading south on Main Street (Hamilton-Richmond Pike).
This image was copied from an Oxford Press newspaper clipping that was contributed by Mrs. Alice (Kramer) Miller. It appeared in the Oxford Press (circa July 1976).
The newspaper caption included the following:
"The 'Hitching Post' site is behind the horse and buggy at the left. Building at the right was constructed for a skating rink. Sign above porch advertises Martin Mason Lager Beer. The Darrtown Band was organized prior to 1895 and practiced in Frank Bufler's hall and later used the K. of P. hall, built in 1904."
Webmaster observations regarding the above photo:
> If everyone walking in the parade was a band member, then that was a sizable cornet band for a small town.
> Main Street (Hamilton-Richmond Road) was a dirt/gravel roadway.
> The horse appears to be standing at a rail (i.e. a "hitching post").
> If the Oxford Press caption is correct and the horse is standing in front of the Hitching Post tavern, then this view is looking north.
> The utility pole suggests that the town had, or was about to have, electricity or telephone service.
> The "Martin Mason Lager Beer" referenced at the left is noted in Cone's Narrative of Hamilton.
RIGHT: This is another photo from the same Oxford Press article that Mrs. Alice (Kramer) Miller provided (above). Unfortunately, like many newspaper photos, this one did not copy very well.
Another version of this photo appeared in the "Remember When" section of the Hamilton Journal - written by George Cummins. The caption read "This picture could be a scene from 'Westward Ho,' but it is actually the departure of the Aten, Blair, and McKee families for a camping trip in 1904. The campers and their wagon are shown in front of the Popst Hotel, Darrtown."
Students of Darrtown history may wish to note that the "McKee" farm is mentioned on the Schultz family page. The McKee property is believed to be the farm that was located northwest of the Kirk Mee I and Kirk Mee II homestead on North Main Street.
For Darrtown historians, the photograph at the right and the one above are exciting and valuable in two ways:
Camping Trip - 1904
First, these turn-of-the (20th) century pictures are some of the oldest images that we have on this website.
Second, these photos seem to confirm oral history. Stories that older residents of Darrtown have relayed from their elders include the following:
Circus Stops in Darrtown - 1950's
According to Dane Menke, once upon a time, a circus stopped in Darrtown!
Dane recalls that this happened during one summer in the 1950's. It seemed to be some kind of lay-over until the group moved on to its next scheduled show.
For a couple of days, the traveling troupe camped in the parking lot that is located across the street from the Hitching Post.
As evidence of this special event, Dane provided the image shown at the left. The K of P Hall "outdoor restroom facility" can be seen in the background, at the right.
Fire at Ferguson Service Station and Grocery Store - circa 1957-58
RIGHT: Donna Laughlin contributed this image, which appeared in the Oxford Press, along with the following caption.
"Firemen Battle Blaze at Darrtown Station
Firemen from Oxford and Collinsville were summoned to Darrtown, about 4:40 p.m., Thursday, when fire damaged the roof and upstairs living quarters of the Stanley Ferguson service station and grocery, located at 4330 Main Street, Darrtown.
Sgt. Clarence Blevins of the sheriff's department said damage was estimated at "several thousand dollars." Firemen were able to save some contents from the living quarters above the store, as the photograph indicates. Defective wiring is believed to be the cause of the fire."
Webmaster: The news clipping was dated 1957-58. Obviously, this incident preceded the installation of a fire department in Darrtown. This property was formerly owned and operated by Clarence Dees (see Businesses / Page 1).
According to the L. A. Miller diaries, at least two corn-husking contests were conducted in the Darrtown area in the 1930's.
The following news article opens with a description of a horse-pulling contest that was part of the 1933 corn-husking contest held at the Joseph Davis farm on October 31, 1933.
LEFT: This image, caption, and news article appeared in a newspaper clipping that Harry and Sue Fillager contributed, during the April 21, 2012 Darrtown "Gathering."
Weight Dragging Contest Held on Farm
"Above is pictured a part of the "Long Pull" taken by one team, when a weight-dragging contest was held Tuesday, as part of the Butler County Corn Husking Contest at the Joe Davis farm near Darrtown. Teams of William Hand, Jr., Reily Twp. and Joe Leslie, Milford Twp. tied for first place, when they succeeded in dragging 4500 pounds of pig iron across the earth. Nearly 2000 persons witnessed the contest."
Webmaster Note: The date and location of the event is confirmed the following October 29 entry in the L.A. Miller 1933 diary:
October 29: ... Great preparations are being made for the corn husking contest, October 31, on the Joseph Davis farm, north of Darrtown.
The former Davis home now functions as the Presidio Pines Bed and Breakfast.
Additional notes regarding the 1933 Corn Husking Contest
On May 8, 2012, Harry Fillager provided the following information regarding the "Weight Dragging" contest reported above:
Webmaster Note: The occurence and location of this event is confirmed by the following November 10th entry in the L.A. Miller 1936 diary:
Tuesday, November 10: … The corn husking contest on the Oyler farm was won by two brothers of Iowa, 1st and 2nd. Thousands attended - mud and rain regardless. A good-sized prize, in money received by the two brothers: I presumed they divided the “pot.” Corn had to be husked clean.
Location of Oyler farm
The location of the Oyler farm, just south of the Milford and Hanover township border, was confirmed by Marvin Gillespie, a longtime Hanover Township resident.
On April 19, 2018, Marvin offered the following information:
"Mrs. Evelyn Grissom"s maiden name was Oyler. She and her husband Wilmer lived in the old farm house behind Southwest Regional Water District. Clarence Broshear bought that farm and Mike Broshear lived there for years. The farm's west side ran all the way to Lanes Mill Road where Larry Miller is operating his trucking business. That is probably why you see the name in Oyler Drive just south of the church. The Water District is also on the Grissom farm."
Notes about the map below
The farm house, barn, and other building were accessed by a long lane that ran south from Stillwell-Beckett Road (see orange arrow below).
A street located west of the Oyer farm bears the name "Oylet Lane." See green rectangle below.
Larry Miller's trucking business, mentioned by Marvin Gillespie (see his comment at the left) is named the Stony Run Enterprise. The map shows the Stony Run stream flowing southeast through the former Olyer farm.
Further downstream, Stony Run turns north and eventually empties into the Four Mile Creek at a location just north of where Hogue Road intersects with St. Rt. 177, aka...Darrtown Pike.
Additional notes regarding the 1936 Corn Husking Contest
Cornhusking remains a valued skill and/or tradition in several mid-western United States and multiple corn-husking contests are conducted annually, as evidenced at the following websites:
Electricity delivered to rural areas of Butler County
No doubt, it was a major event (i.e. - "big deal") for rural families throughout Butler County, Ohio when electricity was first installed in homes and out-buildings (like barns, tool-sheds, garages, etc.) Before electricity, people relied on devices such as the coal-oil lamps illustrated below.
ABOVE: This style coal-oil lamp was used in houses, offices, etc. Typically, they were placed on tables, desks, etc.
ABOVE: This style coal-oil lamp was portable. It could be carried by hand or hung by its handle.
As noted in the news article at the right, the first connection with electricity in rural Butler County occurred at the Bauer farm home on the Wayne-Milford Road in March of 1938.